Sunday, November 27, 2011

WINTER MOVIE PREVIEW


Ok, I did a fall movie preview just a couple weeks ago, and I know it isn't technically winter yet. But, there is so much good stuff out there I just had to showcase a few other films I am super jazzed to see. The theme this winter seems to be dark, noir inspired flicks with perhaps a bit of a neo-realistic perspective. I see a pattern of less glamourous, less throw away, mindless garbage. That is not to say that all of these films are going to be winners, but I am seeing a trend towards films that are tapping into the despair and fear that a lot of people are feeling. But its not really as bad as all that, behind each of these films is a sense of hope amidst the somber themes.


(2009) Released Nov. 20th 2011




Documentaries don't get a lot of attention outside of art houses and film festivals, but I think they have the power to really transform the way people think and feel. If only they could get the same attention as the big blockbusters. While the most popular modern documentaries have surrounded political and social issues, very few popular documentaries have take on the subject of history. Garbo: The Spy is not only taking on a historical figure, but a rather unknown one. So, according to trend, this film should get little to no attention. However, the style of the film is beautiful and incorporates found/historical footage, interviews and animation in a way that hasn't been seen in a documentary before. Now, some might say that this film has a look of a History Channel special, but I think the director Edmon Roch has attempted to incorporate a narrative story line which may give this doc a more plot driven feel. I say, check it out. The trailer alone is amazing and I am sure it will not disappoint. Be advised that you might not find this film in your local corporate theater. Try looking for independent theaters.

(UK 2012) 



Another documentary I am excited to see is Into The Abyss. This is a social documentary that looks at the divisive subject of the death penalty from the perspective of the offenders, the victims and state officials. The film comes to you from the German director Werner Herzog, who directed Grizzly Man and Cave of Forgotten Dreams. For doc lovers, this film is a must see, but I think it is important for all Americans to see. I think we often hear about capital punishment and brush it aside and rarely think about what it says about our society. Herzog is not one to sugar coat tough subjects, this film is raw, dark and expressive. It will make you think.

USA (2011)




Part of the reason I chose this film is because I love Woody Harrelson. He is a cult hero, but I think people forget that he is actually one of the most talented working actors today. I mean, the man works hard. This film proves it. I am literally jumping up and down with excitement. This will be the next film I see in theaters and the next film I review. This style of hollywood film really appeals to me, and the cinematography looks great. The film was written and directed by Oren Moverman, who had a quiet directorial debut with The Messenger and is better known for writing the screenplay for I'm Not There. I expect this film to get a lot of attention in the coming months. I think this film elevates Moverman's status and I expect him to have a long and successful career. The trailer pretty much speaks for itself, and I will do a full review once I see it, so thats it for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment