Tuesday, November 1, 2011

WHAT LOOKS GOOD THIS SEASON?

Once the big summer movie boom is over, I find myself spending less time in front of screens and trying to enjoy the heat and sun. But, once the cold sets in, it is back to the theaters for me. I have been hoping for a good fall/winter movie season, and I am happy to report that there are a handful of movies I am super excited to see, and super excited to review.

This season we are seeing a lot of moody, dark films. I am also seeing a lot of powerful women and historical figures as the subject of many promising looking productions.

Directed By: Lynne Ramsay 
Based on the novel, We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.


I confess that I have never read this book, so I am not going to try compare the book and this film's trailer. But my initial reaction to this is a big WOW! I am always struck by Tilda Swinton and this film looks like it was tailor made for her.  I am interested to see the chemistry between her acting style and John C. Reilly. The two actors who traditionally reside on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as subject matter. The young Ezra Miller is a relative new comer and I am excited to see some fresh blood. He will also appear in The Perks of Being a Wallflower in 2012. 


Directed By: Simon Curtis


I love Marilyn Monroe and I admit I am surprised it took Hollywood so long to do a large scale bio-pic on her life. I do carry a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to this film because these types if films tend to have a lot of glamor with out a lot of substance. However, this film does have a lot of potential and if its good, it will be really good. Michelle Williams isn't necessarily my first choice for Marilyn, but she seems to look the part, lets just hope she brings a high level of honesty to the role and doesn't lose herself behind the hair and fashion.


The Iron Lady
Directed By: Phyllida Lloyd
Starring Meryl Streep, Jim Broadbent and Richard E. Grant


Watch Trailer Here

Ok, this trailer doesn't give anything away but there are some very interesting moments that make this film look rather exciting. The trailer is short and to the point and it leaves me with more questions than answers (which is an unfortunate rarity in movie trailers today). I like this trailer for its subtlety, but the real excitement is seeing Meryl Streep done up like the legendary Margaret Thatcher. This is a must see for me and other political junkies.

Dragonslayer
Directed By: Tristan Patterson
Watch Trailer Here

This is probably the one film I am the most excited about. I think what is lacking in contemporary American film is a genuine representation of the younger generation, the 9/11 generation. Those of us who grew up through war, and fewer and fewer opportunities, those of us who grew up to mistrust government, religion, corporations and any institution. We are the new generation, the one that didn't get the great promise of America. Few films exist that portray our reality. Dragonslayer seems to try tap into some of the feelings that are spilling out from young people.


What are you looking forward to this fall/winter?






Check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment