Friday, February 24, 2012

I HAVE AN AMAZING JOB!

I may have shared that I am now an elementary animation teacher. It is the best job I've ever had. I get the chance to teach kids about something that is very, very important to me. Animation, unlike any other medium, is the work of dreamers. Especially stop-motion.

What makes stop-motion so special is how it brings the micro to life. There are so many small, beautiful, things around us all the time, from toys, and knick-knacks, to stones and other natural objects. Something as small as a leaf and a tooth pick can become a towering tree. Play-Dough can become the landscape of an alien planet. Anything you can dream, you can create.

While adults tend to think all kids are eager to paint, draw, and scribble, I have found that many do not feel confident in their own creativity. But stop-motion is an incredibly simple concept that any kid can wrap their head around. With camera and video editing technology cheaper than ever, it is the perfect medium for encouraging shy kids to create.

I am working on a project for the kids in my class. Below is a sample of what I plan to do. The video will act as a jumping off point to get the kids excited about the possibilities. I want the video to get the kids thinking about detail, depth, setting, story and character.


DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS ON WAYS TO INSPIRE KIDS TO BE ARTISTIC?

No comments:

Post a Comment