Wednesday, February 8, 2012

THE HUNGER GAMES

  

I just finished reading The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, and I will be starting the 3 book in the trilogy, Mockingjay, tonight. These books by Suzanne Collins are my new obsession, but not for the reasons one might think. I actually don't particularly like these books. I find the writing style woefully bland, and lacking in detail. I find the first person perspective really irritating. The staccato use of periods and the overuse of one or two word sentences drives me crazy.

I am in no way, a literary scholar, I'm not even a member of the grammar police, but even I can recognize the awkward writing style in this book. The story itself is also incredibly predictable, but, for some reason, it is as addicting as frosted animal crackers. You know what is going to happen on the next page, but you just have to read it for yourself.


What I like about this book is that it reads like a script. The lack of detail about the landscape, about the way people look, clothing, ect, is done in the exact style a good writer would use if she was trying to sell her script. There is enough detail to satisfy the reader, but not enough to over power the vision of a production designer.

This book was written to be a movie, end of story. While that irritates a lot of people, I think some writers, with good ideas can get away with it, and I think Suzanne Collins is a great example. I do not think this book works on every level, while reading I find myself saying, "I would phrase that differently," and "I want to know more about that character, or this landscape." On the other hand, I think a director with a clear vision for this story might be able to fill in the holes Collins didn't fill herself.


I even hesitate to call this film an adaptation, because I am not sure any adapting will be necessary. It's a script packaged and sold like a book. Clever.

Gary Ross, director of Pleasantville and Seabiscuit has taken on this film and from the trailers, I think it has a lot of potential. We will see how he does with the graphics, this being his first effects heavy film. I think Ross will benefit greatly from veteran DP Tom Stern, best known for his partnership with Clint Eastwood.


The film stars the young, lovely, Jennifer Lawrence, who flies under the radar, but is probably one of the most talented actresses working today. With films like Winter's Bone, X-Men: First Class and cult favorite Garden Party on her resume, there is no arguing that this girl has talent.

Rounding out the cast are stars like Elizabeth Banks, Woody Harrelson, Lenny Kravitz, Donald Sutherland and Stanley Tucci.

Watch the Trailer Here

(The pictures are off of google/video from youtube)

No comments:

Post a Comment