Saturday, September 1, 2012

Santa Fe Art Institute: A Fresh Start




It has been a few days since I've posted. But, I have a really good excuse. Since July 20th, before I came out to New Mexico, I have been going through the application process at the Santa Fe Art Institute. SFAI is one of the most respected institutions in the city of Santa Fe, and I am happy to say that after a couple intensive interviews, including a panel style interview, 9+ hours editing a new demo reel, and a month and a half of anxiously waiting, I got the job. I was told that I beat out 100 other applicants, and 14 other interviewees. So, I feel the need to brag.

I also thought I would take the opportunity to tell you a bit about SFAI, since it will be my day job for the for-seeable future, and themes from my job will start to insert themselves into my posts.


The Santa Fe Art Institute mission is "to explore the intersections of contemporary art and society through artist and writer residencies, public lecture, studio workshops, educational programming and special projects."SFAI is located in the center of Santa Fe on the Santa Fe University of Art and Design's large campus. It was founded in 1985 by Pony Ault and William Lumpkins. The beautiful building was designed by famed Mexican architect Ricardo Legorreta.


SFAI has a rich history of attracting some of the most influential contemporary artists to their coveted residency program, that 'focuses on the professional experience of the artist, the quality of their past work, and their potential," "SFAI supports up to 50 residents per year and offers a cohesive, arts-focused environment that creates the ideal working conditions for our artists."

However, one of the most amazing things offered at SFAI is the Emergency Relief Residencies, in which our institution will provide respite to artists affected by political, social, or natural disasters. SFAI receives support for this program from influential foundations from all over the world.



Pretty amazing stuff, huh? Well the story doesn't end there. In fact. SFAI has an incredible Education and Outreach program that takes the institution out in to the wider community. "We are passionate about the youth in our community. We work with young people to discover and explore their world through art, dance, drama, and help them understand that their how histories and stories have value, building self-esteem and critical thinking in the process." This is my job. I will be the Education and Outreach assistant and I am super excited about it.











You can become a member of SFAI for as little as $25.00. Becoming a member is a great way to get access to all of the wonderful things happening at SFAI and throughout the community.

Happening now at SFAI is Half-Life Part II. Visiting artists will explore questions surrounding the overall theme of half-life such as, "how do systems age, decline and regenerate? How can we use the artistic and creative process to make those actions sustainable inclusive and effective? Artists try to express complex ssues such as the history of culture and society and the boundaries of cycles and how relationships with the natural environment build or destroy, and meditate on self-identity and balance."


I bogarted a lot of this information off of SFAI's website, so if you want to know more feel free to visit the site. There you can learn more about the artists, the exhibitions and the special projects. And feel free to contact me for information about education and outreach program and I will get you into contact with all the right people. .

No comments:

Post a Comment